Buying fencing gear for the first time can be a daunting experience. I hope this will help.
First a few tips:
- All vendors have a link somewhere to help you measure your fencer for the correct size.
- Clothing manufacturers size their garments differently from one another. American. European. Chinese. Use the vendor sizing link to guide you.
- Vendors like it when confused parents and new fencers call them and ask questions. They’d much rather send you the correct gear in the first place than process a return.
- If you find a great deal on ebay or craigslist send me a link and I’ll tell you if it’s worth buying.
Semi-local vendors include:
- Victory Fencing Gear: 205 Broadway, Millbrae, CA 94030 – Phone: (650) 552-9994
- Alliance Fencing Gear: 3201 Balboa Street, San Francisco, CA 94121 (415) 666-3606
Online vendors include:
- The Fencing Post
- Blue Gauntlet
- Sword Masters
- Leon Paul
- The links below are for Absolute Fencing Gear
- Foil Mask (or Epee Mask) (A little snug is better than a little loose).
- Mask Cord (yes)
- Glove (A little loose is better)
- Plastron (aka. Under arm protector). (A little loose is better).
- Plastic Chest Protector. Male or Female. (A little loose is better).
- Jacket. (A little loose is better).
- Rather than buy a practice weapon, just continue using mine– or buy an electric weapon instead.
After a few months… when you’re certain you or your young fencer is going to stick with it for a while… it’s time to look into personal electric gear.
- Electric Foil (or Epee)
- AF Elite Foil
- Point: Absolute Tip or German FWF “Extra”
- Pistol Grip: Visconti Small, Med or Lg.
- Foil Pad: Transparent
- Foil Socket: 2-Prong
- Blade Size: #2 for 10 years old or less, # 4 until 13 years old, #5 for 14 and older
- Mask Cord
- Body Cord
- Scoring vest (Lame) Get the cheapest one. It should be 1 size larger than the jacket.
- A 36″ Gear Bag or this Fencing bag or My Favorite Non-Rolling Fencing Bag.
When you or your young fencer is ready to compete in local/ regional tournaments:
- An expensive, longer lasting FIE electric foil or This Foil (or this epee)
- A second (and preferably third) mask cord (n/a for epee)
- A second (and preferably third) body cord
- My Favorite Non-Rolling Fencing Bag. or similar with wheels.
- Tools: A test box, 8mm Allen Wrench, Tip tape, jewelers screwdriver set.