___ has really enjoyed your class. We feel lucky to have found it & YOU!
We have all really enjoyed watching her learn fencing. As a parent it has been very gratifying to see her growth in the physical, social and emotional aspects of the sport. I’m sure it makes you feel great too! You are a fabulous teacher.
She is very proud of her medal. It really means a lot to her!
Thanks for giving __ the leave from fencing to be part of the middle school tennis team and for letting ___ use those days. They have both REALLY enjoyed their time with you and fencing. We will be away for much of the summer and early Fall, but will look forward to finding a way to join you again in the year ahead. You have a great gift for welcoming kids into a beautiful sport.
__ has asked her teacher if she could write about you and your program for the Robert Down School newspaper. This was her suggestion, based on her hearing the parents ongoing conversations about how to help you get the word out to other kids and families who would love your program. Is it ok if she comes on Wednesday to interview you?
Warm thoughts and many thanks,
I wanted to thank you again so much for today.
Your dedication, help and support were above and beyond. I was a bit apprehensive, I thought that ___ may be crushed by a poor performance and would like fencing less after the tournament. I guess that did not happen, and this is mostly thanks to your attitude and how you prepared him.
At home, ___ said two things tonight that were quite telling. First he asked: so when is the next tournament, I can’t wait. Second he was talking about his favorite days of the week. Monday is his least favorite because that’s the first day of school. Sunday is his second least favorite, because he thinks that Monday is very close. But he then said, except if there is a tournament on sunday, then it is a great day! What a crackup.
Today was really cool! Thanks!
Robin, THANK YOU for arranging this(fencing Christmas party) … and THANK YOU for… BEING YOU !!! You’re such a positive role model for these kids, my own son included, and we are all the better for having you in our lives 🙂
Robin,___came home today bubbling with excitement about fencing! Working privately with you, with all the effort you put in to move her ahead while making it fun and non-judgmental, really paid off. She’s stoked again. Thanks!
Well congratulations to YOU and all the hard work you put in, I think a lot of the reason the Salle Santa Cruz took so many of the top places is 1) because you (and Kevin) are great teachers, but also 2) you put your whole heart into it and the guys feel really supported and feel that connection with you. Thank you…I’m so proud of ___ !!! And everybody!
You’re good people, Robin. Its nice to see someone that coaches without screaming at kids and putting them down. Would definitely recommend your group to anyone looking for a blast of a time!
THANK YOU for an incredible fencing experience. My boys are hooked (or shall I say skewered?!). I really appreciated how you let them enjoy, educated them, and also set respectful limits.
We’re supposed to be helping out at a mountain biking event Saturday morning in Monterey, but we might bail on that and fence instead 😉
Thanks for being such a great role model for ____. Your fencing class is about so much more than fencing for ____, and I am thrilled to see him making good connections with the kids, esp. ___, ____ and ___ lately. (My son) needs a ‘community’ to feel involved with, and we both really enjoy being part of the fencing club!!
I just wanted to take a moment to say how much _____ is enjoying Fencing. She is a kid that doesn’t get that excited about too much – but she is excited about Fencing. You are a fabulous instructor. Both ___and I are thrilled we have found you and that you offer this great program to SC kids. It is apparent you love your sport and enjoy passing it on to others.
With much gratitude and great respect, ____
I just wanted to say, “Thanks” for helping ____ work through what she wanted out of fencing. Because you talked to her about it and gave her options, she kept herself open to continuing with it. She really enjoyed the Saturday class today with the adults and teens, so this is the class that she will be coming to from now on.
High kudos and thanks to you and the rest of the Salle Santa Cruz team for the event (beginner tournament) yesterday. That was a LOT of work and last minute troubleshooting that you all did, and there were a lot of kids who benefited.
I regret that I wasn’t trained in directing, or it would have been fun to give it a go! I am, however, somewhat trained in “mom-ing” and was able to fit a few kids into borrowed lames. It was a cool experience, and though _______ was VERY disappointed when he was eliminated, it was another good learning experience for him.
Thanks again, and I hope you will share my thanks and high praise with the rest of the crew.
I wanted to say how grateful that___ and I are to you and to all the other folks who organized, directed, coached and more. Of course we’re proud and happy with ___’s results, but far more important was the over-all feel of the tournament and the experience for all the young fencers there. My observations indicate that it was overwhelming a positive and rewarding experience, and you deserve a huge amount of the credit. Thank you!
PS I have to add that ___’s third place was absolutely thrilling! Totally cool…
Just wanted to congratulate Kim, Robin, Kaelyn, and everyone who participated to make this a fun event. Even as a director, I had a great time too. Special kudos to Robin, who has made it all happen; he is also especially good with the kids and their instruction through the years. You don’t see this often in the fencing world and it is to be commended. Parents should be aware that he is a very special person running Salle Santa Cruz. Sincerely, AB
Salut Robin! How goes the ceramics et al? Have a feeling you do too much!! It is wonderful what you are doing for the kids in Santa Cruz and Monterey with fencing…..(and the grownups!)
____ has been loving her fencing and time with you and your fencing “family.” Especially her private lessons with you in Monterey and her bouts in Santa Cruz! ___ was right and we’re really glad you and he encouraged ___ to come up to Santa Cruz. She will grow all the faster as a fencer with all the styles and challenges and the energy!
She will come up to Circle Church as much as she is able….even more during the summer. (And it’s a great opportunity for me to see all my old Santa Cruz friends and haunts.) I really appreciate your interest in ___ and the positive feedback you’ve been giving her and the extra time.
Robin, I just want to thank you again for offering this in Santa Cruz County. ____ is so excited and had such a wonderful afternoon yesterday. He has hated most sports we’ve tried. He loves to roller blade and ski but other than that he really hated other sports. He is so over the top excited! Thanks again and see you on Thursday. He has everything and will have his helmet and visconti handle in the right size coming next week. Have a wonderful day!
Anonymous feedback from my UCSC students:
Please comment on how the instructor’s teaching helped your learning in this course.
- The history lecture/presentation was one of the best I have ever attended.
- Professor Phillips is a wonderful instructor. He is very kind,skillful, and he puts great effort into teaching his students and ensuring that they progress and enjoy this sport.
- He made sure the class had a fun, comfortable atmosphere.
- One of my favorite classes at UCSC
- His passion for fencing and sharing it with us was very apparent, and he really cared about our progress. It was an awesome class that was something I always look forward to.
- Your enthusiasm made going to class so much fun! This was my first time taking a P.E. course at UCSC and I’m so glad it was your class!
- The instructor is so passionate about this sport that he is able to easily motivate you. His instructions are usually very clear, he is very friendly and he always makes each class a very fun experience.
- Great relaxed fencing coach, taught me a lot this quarter.
- Professor Phillips is very good about making time to analyze each students individual ability and would adjust his teaching methods appropriately to their level.
- Spent the 10 weeks spacing out when skill development should be and when practice should be.
- Robin is an excellent fencing instructor, and I learned a ton from him.
- Robin is super nice and a great teacher.
- He always had meaningful drills.
- This teacher was incredibly helpful, he put in the time and effort to make sure that we all knew how to fence.
- Class was always exciting! I really enjoyed all of the activities and matches. I had no prior experience with fencing, but I now feel I have a much better understanding of the sport.
- Robin is passionate about both fencing and teaching, and this passionate radiates in the class. He is very easy to get along with and learn from. These classes are always a joy, and I always look back satisfied with what I’ve learned. Each class has had a marked improvement.
- Robin is a fantastic instructor as always! This is my fourth quarter taking courses with him and I could not be happier.
- My well-being and fitness has improved significantly and my
- skills in fencing have improved in leaps and bounds
- I thought the class was perfect as is.
- Cannot think of any way Robin could be better at what he does, he is already incredible
- Robin was such an awesome teacher. I came into the course with no prior experience what so ever and Robin took the time to help me learn the basics and grow to truly enjoy fencing. If my schedule permits in the fall, I would gladly enroll again in his class.
- Robin is very passionate about fencing and it’s great to learn from him.
- Coach Robin Has to be one of the nicest, caring and passionate teachers here at UCSC. His love for teaching the sport has helped myself find a passion as will that will likely last a lifetime. He helps everyone from those first starting the class, to those wanting to learn more to compete in higher ranked events.
- I thought the class was perfect overall.
- After my last few years here, I have contributed my success to a few things. The fencing classes here have been an outlet that helps me relive stress. From these classes I have met friends, explored my thoughts to overcome coursework problems, and helped keep myself in shape. I truly thank those at OPERS and Coach Robin Phillips for the time spent and effort gone into them.